Monday, July 25, 2011

Farmer Sue...

I am not! And frankly Scarlet, I don't know why I keep trying. But I do! The cantaloupe volunteers that came up by the chicken coop that I moved have withered and died in the heat. Nevermind the fact they got watered every day. Dead. My tomatoes are dead. I never got enough at any one time to do anything with. No salsa. No spagetti sauce. No mater salad. Just sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper for dinner. Not that there's anything wrong with that! And the plant that gave me the best results was the one I got that was 3/4 dead on the $1.00 discount table at Lowes! Go figure! But my new Southern Living magazine that I just got the other day said it's time to plant tomatoes for fall now. So I HAVE to try again. The snow peas...what'd I get? Six total? Or was it 4? It's been so long, I've forgotten! And here is the result of my cukes. Three. That all together aren't even 6" long! The vines withered and died too. I have gorgeous strawberry plants. Gorgeous! They've tripled in size. And I think John and I have eaten 5 strawberries each. And the ONLY reason we got them is because they were hidden by the leaves and the birds couldn't see them to peck their one hole in and leave. We had more volunteer cantaloupe and one tomato plant come up at the chicken coop. I left them. They are doing fantastic! They are in the shade most of the day though. The cantaloupe plants are loaded with bloom. Just loaded. If they all set and ripen, I could put them in the back of John's truck and go out to the highway and sell them. Blacken a couple of teeth, get me a corn-cob pipe and sell them. But they won't! I'm not getting my hopes up. Hell, I'll go dance a jig if I get ONE measley lope off'n the plants! I'm cuttin' these babies up to go with dinner tonight. If you want a taste, I suggest you start driving now!




No comments: