Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Washi welcome







I knew I wanted to make something for JoAnn & Bill for Christmas using the Washi paper she sent me. I thought about making a "welcome" sign using the alterable wooden trays I'd seen at Hobby Lobby but once I got there and really looked at them, I decided they wouldn't work for what I wanted. And since it's already the middle of June, they not only have Fall merchandise on display but also Christmas! OK, I get that they have to get the stuff to the stores, but can't we at least wait til after the 4th of July to display it?! All of their Spring merchandise was discounted 60% so as I was perusing the aisles looking to see what I couldn't live without, I found an already done Welcome sign that I knew I could alter with no troubles. I got it home and covered the letters with the Washi papers and let it dry then cut out around each letter. I had some Japanese embellies that the Japanese family and friend Jill had sent me, so what better use for it. So everything on the piece is Japanese. The ribbons, the crochet flowers and the paper flowers and dots. Debbie had sent me the cutest silver tone sushi platter tchotkes quite a while ago. I've used a couple on other projects and still have a few left. So there is one on the "O" as well. JoAnn moonlights on weekends at a sushi restaurant around the corner from their house taking phone orders, so I thought that would be appropriate.

1 comment:

Debbie DP said...

love how the sign turned out. It will be a great christmas present.