Monday, May 16, 2011

'Maters

































I was reading one of the local blogs last week and found out there was a U-Pick farm down Ruskin way, about an hour south of me, that had opened their tomato fields for picking. And I got a wild hair and decided to go pick some! I picked about 40 lbs in a bit over 30 minutes. Then after a quick stop at Publix to get the rest of the stuff I needed, I was back home. First thing I did was make me a tomato sammich on white bread with Duke's Mayo and salt and pepper. There is just nothing better in this world! And store boughten tomatoes just do not taste like ones you pick yourself! Then I made two ginormous containers of Sue's World Famous Salsa and then started boiling skins off maters to make homemade spagetti sauce. I ended up getting 6 quart Ziploc bags of sauce to put in the freezer out of the first batch. This batch I made with meatballs. Then the next day, I made another batch of sauce and got another 6 quart Ziploc bags of no-meatball sauce. I lay the bags flat on cookie sheets and once they are frozen, I stack 'em like cordwood in the freezer. So we'll have sauce for a good long while. I kept a few of the ripe tomatoes so we could have BLT's and sliced tomato with salt and pepper. I also picked a few green tomatoes for fried green tomatoes. Yum, yum, yum!

No comments: