Monday, July 26, 2010

DC continued













































































































































































































I think we are getting near the end of our journey! You can't take pics inside the Bureau of Printing and Engraving. Camera's aren't even permitted inside. So they taunt you with enlarged pictures of new money outside the building! Since 9/11, security has become so important around all of the buildings in DC. What you take to be lovely planters with blooming things are really very heavy guards to keep potential car bombs from doing damage to the buildings. So sad that this is the reality we have to now live in. The TourMobile that saved my feet. My blisters had blisters. We bought tickets and rode from one monument to another. The Jefferson Memorial. John's favorite President. I did not know that til we got there. We were about 1/2 hr early for the Ranger talk, so I took the opportunity to take. my. shooze. off and sit and enjoy the wonderful breeze that was blowing. The marble work is amazing. View of the White House and Washington Memorial from the Lincoln Memorial. Lincoln is one of my favorite President's. Statue in tribute to the nurses of the Vietnam War. The Wall. John had a cousin who was one of the first casualties of the Vietnam War. He was killed in 1959, so his name is on the very first panel. I think this may have been the hardest thing for both of us. John never knew James. He died before John was even born. It is so sobering to stand and look at the Wall and it not have an impact on you. Much like watching the Changing of The Guard at Arlington. Very sobering.

1 comment:

Debbie DP said...

Evan and I love the picture of you sitting on the steps. You look like you are just giving yourself a little rest enjoying the sights. (I know your feet were killing you but really a nice picture)